This is an ongoing series of posts that highlights the daily search habits of Yahoo! users -Ed.
Happy Valentine’s Day! We know that you have been turning to the web for advice on what to get your sweetie. As February 14 approached, people did their due romantic diligence and searched on Yahoo!:
This week searches for [valentine's day cards] are spiking 1471%
- Searches for [valentine's gifts] are spiking 475%
- Searches [valentine flowers] are spiking 577%
- Searches for [love tattoos] are spiking 234%
- People want to share a laugh…searches for [funny valentines] are up 716%
The occasion, however, also marks an opportunity to wax poetic. For a brief moment in Yahoo! Search history (in 2010), people sought out how to express their affection in a [love SMS]. But not for a moment have people ever forsaken literary traditions, and this year is no exception. Over the past 7 days, searches on Yahoo! for [valentine poems] have popped up 826%.
Top poem/poetry searches on Yahoo!, past 7 days:
- [love poems]
- [valentine poems]
- [valentine's day poems]
- [friendship poems]
- [black history poems]
- [best love poems]
- [inspirational poems]
- [maya angelou poems]
Top Spiking "quotes" and "message" searches on Yahoo!, past 7 days:
- [valentine messages] off the charts
- [valentine's day quotes] +104%
- [love quote] +104%
- [romantic quotes] +87%
- [cute short love quotes] +24%
- [I love you quotes] +19%
- [broken heart quotes] +17%
- [quotes about love] +16%
- [famous love quotes] +7%
- [love lessons]
Valentine's Day isn't just for sweethearts
As any parent or teacher will tell you, Valentine's Day isn't just for sweethearts. Kids literally learn lessons about love and they go through their first exhilarating and terrifying experiences about the human heart. Among the searches on Yahoo! aimed at kids:
- [valentine's box for school] +378%
- [valentine day crafts] +205%
- [valentine's day coloring pages] +175%
- [valentine crafts for kids]+47%
- [history of valentine's day] breakout
- [valentine box ideas] breakout
- [homemade valentine cards] breakout
Men catching up?
- Talk about gender parity: In the past 7 days on Yahoo!, searches for [valentine's day] break down to 40% male, 60% female.
- 81% of lookups for [when is valentine's day] come from males. To be fair, four times as many people asked [when is super bowl] — and 48% of those queries were male.
Top "Valentine Day" states on Yahoo! Search, past 7 days (ranked by volume)
- Washington D.C.
- South Carolina
For the love of diamonds
In the past 7 days on Yahoo! searches for [diamond earrings] spiked 116% and searches for [engagement rings] have spiked 79%. And for those not ready to take the plunge, a promise ring might be in your future. Searches for [promise rings] are up 28% this week.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Yahoo! Search Data: Yahoo! aggregates the billions of searches performed across Yahoo! properties to give the pulse on what people are thinking and talking about. Searches represent the people, an instant poll every moment of the day, looking into the fleeting moods and entrenched attitudes of Internet users across the world.
What exactly is a search and why are they useful?: A keyword(s) or term(s) that people enter in the Search box.
What does spiking, buzzing, and off the charts mean? A “spiking” or “buzzing” search refers to terms with the greatest percentage increase in searches from one period of time to the next (usually day, week or month). Something that’s “off the chart” refers to a term that had no meaningful number of searches in the previous time period.
How are rankings determined? Rankings, unless otherwise noted, are based on the total number of searches.
Want more search trends from Yahoo!? Follow the @yahoosearchdata Twitter account.